Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hunters Run 2011

Last weekend, I went to my first horse trial/event and it was everything I could have ever imagined. On Saturday, we went and schooled the course for awhile which was a total blast! Leslie and Josh came and watched, supported and took tons of pictures. I still can't believe they drove over 2 hours just to come watch me ride my horse. Josh got some awesome pictures with the help of Leslie and then they headed off on their long journey home.

After we bathed the horses and got everything packed up we headed on our way to our sleeping arrangements we had previously made. After nearly 15 minutes of winding, narrow, bumpy dirt roads lined with trees on both sides (which appeared rather frightening at night) we arrived at the barn bed and breakfast. We unloaded the horses, put them in their huuuuge stalls that were literally nearly twice the size of the stalls at home, fed them then headed into the house. The house was super cute and had so much character. I don't know how to do it justice so you'll just have to check out The Crooked House Farm  for yourself.


After a mere 5 hours of sleep, we were up and at it again! We had everything and everyone reloaded and when we went to start the truck, we had a dead battery. After a few moments of panic, we jumped it and headed on our way! I was first out of our group to do my dressge test. Warm up was horrible, the grass was wet and Breena was just not listening. I pretty much decided to give up for then and just wing it when I went into ring. I got through the test, grimacing the whole way through. At the end, I was okay with my performance. I'd done worse, I'd done better, I just hoped it was enough to get me a ribbon.


Then it was Cross Country time. I couln't stop smiling my entire course, I was just having such a blast. She cleared every fence with ease, didn't look at any of them and was a dream. I knew I was going to slow but the wet grass and hills were making me nervous and I decided the time faults weren't as bad as getting either of us hurt. Afterall, I wasn't planning on bringing a ribbon home anyway.





Kelsey and I were looking everywhere for placings but ended up going back to the trailer empty handed and just as impatient as when we left. Upon returning, we found out that our trainer had found the placings and we got 2nd and 3rd! I was second after dressage by .5 of a point but my time faults pushed me back to third. Kelsey was 3rd after dressage and moved up when I went too slow. I had never, ever beaten Kelsey at dressage so I quite pleased, to say the least. 

All in all, I brought home so much more than a ribbon last Sunday. I brought home memories, many lessons learned and had a lot of fun. Oh, and Breena and I continued to prove many people wrong. I just love her so much.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still so proud of you for your accomplishments last weekend! I wish we could have stayed and watched the entire show :) You're amazing and completely worth a couple of extra hours in the car. Love you Sweet Girl!

    ReplyDelete