Friday, October 14, 2011

The Mission Behind the Title

       Lowell High School can be quite the jungle all the time on certain occasions. One of these times, is homecoming week. With all the craziness of spirit days, the football game, and of course, the dance, people tend to lose track of themselves, what they stand for and they end up following the crowd more than ever. The girls in their short soffee shorts, tall socks and sports bras with their stomachs painted at the game, the guys encouraging their behavior, the silly spirit days, as well as many other things combine to create a rough week.

     Well, this year me and several of my friends decided to try and change that. With little idea of where to start, I consulted with my sister, Leslie. Together, we came up with the idea of t-shirts with the phrase "I'm bringing classy back" on them.  Several trips to Ella's (the local coffee shop), many hours on Google, and lots of brutally honest opinions operation "Bring Classy Back" was formed.

      Maddie and I then contacted several girls from our school that we thought would like to get involved. Some of the girls did, and some didn't, but that was expected. The next week we ordered the shirts! After many, many calls to Pep Talk, pleading with the woman over the phone and praying the shirts arrived just in time! We had planned on wearing them the day before the homecoming dance but weren't sure if they would be here in time. Once again, God made it happen. I arrived to school early on Friday morning to hand out the shirts to the other 8 girls and everyone of them loved the design.

      Throughout the day, we had very mixed reviews. Most of the comments made to my face were very positive, it was the ones I wasn't supposed to hear that really made me laugh. I heard a few of the "popular guys" say "I hate those shirts. They're so stupid." I simply chuckled to myself and decided it wasn't worth a response, for the scripture says " Do not be eager in your heart to be angry, For anger resides in the bosom of fools.".  At the end of the day, I was glad I did it. I took the risk, put myself out there. I decided that if it changed one person for the better, one person out of all 1,200 students, then it was worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment